All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionShibori is infinitely more than the tie-dye that became well kwn in the late 1960s. Shaped-resist dyeing techniques have been done for centuries in every corner of the world. Yet more than half of the kwn techniques-in which cloth is in some way tied, clamped, folded, or held back during dyeing, to keep some areas from taking color - originated in Japan. Shibori can be used t only to create patterns on cloth but to turn fabric from a two-dimensional into a three-dimensional object. The word is used here to refer to any process that leaves a memory on cloth' -a permanent record,'
- Author BiographyFor nearly thirty years, surface-design artist, curator, and textile researcher YOSHIKO IWAMOTO WADA has been teaching shibori, first in Berkeley, California and then around the world. Many who took her classes went on to become artists and teachers themselves, and thanks to Wada's efforts the field has expanded geometrically over the course of a single generation. In 1983 she also coauthored, with Mary Kellogg Rice and Jane Barton, the definitive book in English, Shibori: The Inventive Art of Japanese Shaped-Resist Dyeing. As Jack Lenor Larsen puts it in his foreword to Memory on Cloth, Through her first book, Shibori, and through her exhibits, lectures, and personal persuasion in every communication medium, Wada has single-handedly changed our field and its language. Because of her commitment to keeping shibori traditions alive, the word shibori has now become universally accepted as the term for shaped-resist processes. Wada continues to travel the world searching for shibori innovations and outstanding artists.
- Author(s)Yoshiko Iwamoto Wada
- PublisherKodansha America, Inc
- Date of Publication17/12/2012
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKodansha America, Inc
- Content Note1
- Weight1514 g
- Width235 mm
- Height305 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edition Statement2nd edition
Most relevant reviews
- mavisbp08 Dec, 2016by
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $30.85Trending at AU $34.85
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.71
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.52
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.