All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMental Health and Social Problems is a textbook for social work students and practitioners. It explores the complicated relationship between mental conditions and societal issues as well as examining risk and protective factors for the prevalence, course, adaptation to and recovery from mental illness. The introductory chapter presents bio-psycho-social and life-modeled approaches to helping individuals and families with mental illness. The book is divided into two parts. Part I addresses specific social problems, such as poverty, oppression, racism, war, violence, and homelessness, identifying the factors which contribute to vulnerabilities and risks for the development of mental health problems, including the barriers to accessing quality services. Part II presents the most current empirical findings and practice kwledge about prevalence, diagsis, assessment, and intervention options for a range of common mental health problems - including personality conditions, eating conditions and affective conditions. Focusing throughout upon mental health issues for children, adolescents, adults and older adults, each chapter includes case studies and web resources. This practical book is ideal for social work students who specialize in mental health.
- Author BiographyNina Rovinelli Heller teaches in the masters and doctoral programs, and is the Chair of the Mental Health Substantive Area at the University of Connecticut, USA. She has provided mental health services to individuals and families for thirty years in a range of practice settings. She is the co-editor of Integrating Psychodynamic Theory with Cognitive Behavioral Techniques and has published in the area of social work theory and clinical practice. Alex Gitterman is Zachs Professor of Social Work and Director of the Doctoral Program at the University of Connecticut School of Social Work. He has co-authored and co-edited a large number of books including The Life Model of Social Work Practice, Encyclopedia of Social Work with Groups and The Handbook of Social Work Practice with Vulnerable and Resilient Populations. He served as the President and on the board of the Association for the Advancement of Social Work with Groups, an international professional organization.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication27/10/2010
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note3 black & white tables, 2 black & white line drawings
- Weight956 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byAlex Gitterman,Nina Rovinelli Heller
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.26
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $33.19
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.