All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThousands of cargo ships sailed in both the Atlantic and Pacific theaters of World War II manned by young men who braved blockades, torpedoes, and bombings to deliver vital supplies to the Allied forces and make victory possible. These mariners have received little if any credit; they are the forgotten group of 'the greatest generation.' Merchant Mariners at War offers firsthand accounts of the wartime experiences of veterans who graduated from the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy - the largest supplier of ships' officers in WWII. Gathered over more than a decade at the academy in Kings Point, New York, the interviews offer a unique portrait of the young officers who delivered the vital war materiel and provide a valuable window into the world of the merchant marine during WWII. The stories often include startling accounts of privation and endurance.Their stories give voice to a new perspective on WWII maritime history. The chapters cover such subjects as Liberty ships, U-Boats, the Battle of the Atlantic, D-Day, the Philippines, the vast Pacific, and the Murmansk Run. Throughout the book, interesting anecdotes from the veterans enliven the narrative and add to its contribution to the historical record - heretofore n-existent.It offers rare, first-hand accounts of World War II.
- Author BiographyGeorge J. Billy is chief librarian at the United States Merchant Marine Academy and the author of Palmerston's Foreign Policy: 1848 and the annotated bibliography Sources of Information in Transportation, Shipping. Christine M. Billy, formerly assistant to the public information officer at the United States Merchant Marine Academy, is a graduate of Harvard Law School.
- Author(s)Christine M. Billy,George J. Billy
- PublisherUniversity Press of Florida
- Date of Publication15/09/2008
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleNew Perspectives on Maritime History & Nautical Archaeology
- Place of PublicationFlorida
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Florida
- Content Note24 b/w illustrations
- Weight658 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine33 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.