All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume contains a selection of papers presented at the First International Conference on English Historical Dialectology (ICEHD), organized at the University of Bergamo in September 2003. It includes papers on fundamental aspects of English historical dialectology, from Old English to Late Modern English. The papers discuss points in two thematically distinct but related sections, 'Methods' and 'Data'. The volume also includes the transcript of a debate on methodological issues, in which the main themes are the principles of historical investigation of geographical varieties, the new approaches provided by corpus linguistics and computer techlogy, and the need for greater awareness of textual reliability.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Marina Dossena is Associate Professor of English Language at the University of Bergamo. Her research interests focus on the features and origins of British varieties of English and the history of specialized discourse. Recent publications include <i>Insights into Late Modern English</i>, co-edited with Charles Jones (Lang 2003) and <i>Scotticisms in Grammar and Vocabulary </i>(2004). She is currently compiling a corpus of 19th-century Scottish correspondence and is the current editor of the <i>Online Bibliography of Scots and Scottish English</i>. Roger Lass is Professor Emeritus of Linguistics and Honorary Research Associate in English at the University of Cape Town. His special interests are the history of English, historical linguistic theory, and its interface with evolutionary biology. His most recent publications include <i>Historical Linguistics and Language Change</i> (1997) and volume III of <i>The Cambridge History of the English Language</i> (1999). He is currently working on the Linguistic Atlas of Early Middle English.
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/03/2005
- Series TitleLinguistic Insights
- Series Part/Volume Number16
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Notenum ill., tables and graphs
- Weight570 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Edited byMarina Dossena,Maurizio Gotti,Roger Lass
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.