All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe book presents a survey of the studies of metonymy in various aspects of language from the cognitive linguistic perspective. It discusses the role of metonymy t only in the traditional domain of semantics but also in morphology, linguistic pragmatics and formal dimensions of language, including syntax. The most influential modern theories of metonymy are thoroughly and critically discussed and the author also proposes his own original solutions to the problems which arise, taking into account his Polish perspective. Since the picture that emerges shows metonymy as a universal conceptual phemen, the last chapter is devoted to the discussion of the possible biological, neural and evolutionary reasons why metonymy is so rampant. Thus, ather important aim of this study is to consider the problem of the embodiment of metonymy from the point of view of modern neuroscience.
- Author BiographyBogusAaw Bierwiaczonek is Professor of Linguistics at the University of Czestochowa in Poland. His most recent publications include Studies in Cognitive Semantics (co-edited with Anna Turula, Wydawnictwo WSL, 2010) and Syntax in Cognitive Grammar (co-edited with Bo'ena Cetnarowska and Anna Turula, Wydawnictwo WSL, 2011).
- Author(s)Boguslaw Bierwiaczonek
- PublisherEquinox Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication01/01/2013
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEquinox Publishing Ltd
- Content Note62 figures
- Weight567 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $71.74
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.89
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.83
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.55
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.04
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.67
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.44
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.