All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGeoffrey G. O'Brien's third collection opens with a set of lyric experiments whose music and mutable syntax explore the social relations concealed in material things. O'Brien's poems measure the 'vague cadence' of daily life, testing both the value and limits of art in a time of vanishing publics and permanent war. The long title poem, written in a strict iambic prose, charts the disappearance of the poetic into the prosaic, of meter into the mundane, while reactivating the very possibilities it mourns: O'Brien's prosody invests the prose of things with the intensities of verse. In the charged space of this hybrid form, objects become subjects and sense pivots mid-sentence into song: 'The sun revolves around the earth revolves around the sun.'
- Author BiographyGeoffrey G. O'Brien teaches in the English Department at the University of California, Berkeley and at San Quentin State Prison. He is the author of Green and Gray and The Guns and Flags Project, both available from University of California Press.
- Author(s)Geoffrey G. O'Brien
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication02/03/2011
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleNew California Poetry
- Series Part/Volume Number33
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Weight22 g
- Width152 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.83Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.11
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $84.79
- AU $61.22Trending at AU $69.47
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.12
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $24.54
- AU $37.91Trending at AU $41.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.