All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $71.74
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.89
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.83
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.55
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.04
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.67
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.44
About this product
- DescriptionAs the Mexican American student population in U.S. public schools climbs to over 8 million, the establishment of policies that promote equity and respect have never been more crucial. In Mexican Americans and Education, Estela Godinez Ballon provides an overview of the relationship between Mexican Americans and all levels of U.S. public schooling. Mexican Americans and Education begins with a brief overview of historical educational conditions that have impacted the experiences and opportunities of Mexican American students, and moves into an examination of major contemporary institutional barriers to academic success, including segregation, high-stakes testing, and curriculum tracking. Ballon also explores the status of Mexican American students in higher education and introduces theories and pedagogies that aim to understand and improve school conditions. Through her extensive examination of the major issues impacting Mexican American students, Ballon provides a broad introduction to an increasingly relevant topic. Ballon uses understandable and accessible language to examine institutional and ideological factors that have negatively impacted Mexican Americans' public school experiences, while also focusing on their strengths and possibilities for future action. This unique overview serves as a foundation for both education and Chicana/o studies courses, as well as in teacher and professional development.
- Author BiographyEstela Godinez Ballon is a professor in the Liberal Studies Department at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, USA. Her research appears in the Journal of Latinos and Education, Sociological Methods and Research, and Women's Studies, among others. Her research focuses on Chicano/a education, curriculum tracking, and women of color in academia.
- Author(s)Estela Godinez Ballon
- PublisherUniversity of Arizona Press
- Date of Publication30/04/2015
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleThe Mexican American Experience
- Place of PublicationTucson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Arizona Press
- Content Note14 illustrations, 7 tables
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.