All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt is where Fidel Castro raised money to overthrow Batista and where two generations of Castro's enemies have raised armies to overthrow him, so far without success. It is where the bitter opera of Cuban exile intersects with the cynicism of U.S. foreign policy. It is a city whose skyrocketing murder rate is fueled by the cocaine trade, racial discontent, and an undeclared war on the island 90 miles to the south.As Didion follows Miami's drift into a Third World capital, she also locates its position in the secret history of the Cold War, from the Bay of Pigs to the Reagan doctrine and from the Kennedy assassination to the Watergate break-in. Miami is t just a portrait of a city, but a masterly study of immigration and exile, passion, hypocrisy, and political violence.
- Author BiographyJoan Didion was born in California and lives in New York City. She is the author of five novels and seven previous books of nonfiction.
- Author(s)Joan Didion
- Date of Publication29/09/1998
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPolitical Science & Theory
- Series TitleVintage International
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight272 g
- Width132 mm
- Height207 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $27.82Trending at AU $30.75
- AU $21.76Trending at AU $26.80
- AU $29.36Trending at AU $31.85
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.91
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.68
- AU $26.39Trending at AU $26.97
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.