All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $34.64Trending at AU $35.22
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.07
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
About this product
- DescriptionThis photo of Escherichia coli being attacked by bacteriophages highlights rapidly developing techlogies for using phages to treat antibiotic resistant infections without destroying rmal resident bacteria, and without side effects. Phages are also being used to detect and remove pathogens from our food supplies, both plant and animal. Also exciting is the use of phages as vehicles to delivery DNA vaccines, often directly to mammalian immune system cells. Recent work also suggests possible antitumor effects of phages. We stand on the edge of a whole new world of exploration and applications of microbiology. For over 20 years, and through five editions, Black's Microbiology: Principles and Explorations has captured students' imaginations. Her enthusiasm, passion, and knack for memorable stories and anecdotes bring the study of microbiology to life in a way few other texts can match. Now updated to reflect the latest topics in the field (e.g., SARS, bioterrorism, GMO's, geomicrobiology) and accompanied by state-of-the-art animations of key concepts, this new edition is sure to help inspire a new generation of enthusiasts for the dynamic science of microbiology. Critical acclaim: 'I continue to find Black's text an excellent contribution to undergraduate Microbiology education' - Karen Messley, Rock Valley College. 'I like the conversational and informal style Black adopts throughout the book. This is a book, which could very well engage even the most reluctant student. It is comprehensive, nicely detailed, and incorporates many aids to teaching and learning...' - Iris Cook, Westchester CC. '[The text] is a wonderful introduction into the world of microorganisms for students from a wide variety of backgrounds' - Jeff G. Leid, Northern Arizona University. '...I have found it [the book] accurate to a fault, brilliant at getting students motivated and interested in microbiology, and a great practical training book' - Gerard O'Dovan, University of North Texas. Also available is the Laboratory Exercises in Microbiology , 2nd Edition by Robert A. Pollack, et al. ISBN: 0-471-42082-4, 264 pages, paper, [copyright] 2005. Written specifically for allied health students, this lab manual presents a variety of highly engaging activities and experiments that convey the basic concepts of microbiology.
- Author BiographyJacquelyn Black received her B.A., B.S., and M.S. from the University of Chicago and her Ph.D. from Catholic University of America. She has been teaching microbiology to undergraduates since 1970. She is a member of the American Society for Microbiology, and she has received grants for conducting teacher-training programs. In May of 2000, the Washington Academy of Sciences gave Jackie the Leo Schubert Award for Excellence in Teaching of Science in College. This award is given for exceptional teaching and writing in the field of microbiology, with particular emphasis on the teaching of undergraduate students. In addition to her extensive teaching experience, Dr. Black has engaged in fieldwork and studies throughout the globe. Her travels have taken her from the interior of Iceland to Belgium, Germany, Lappland, China, South America, Portugal, tot he barrier reef of Belize, and most recently to over a dozen universities in Russia. Dr. Black describes herself as an incorrigible snoop, interested in all the various aspects and applications of microbiology. This natural curiosity, coupled with her classroom and laboratory experience, makes her uniquely qualified to author an introductory microbiology textbook. This book conveys her sense of excitement for microbiology and offers the most current information on developments and applications within this field.
- Author(s)Jacquelyn G. Black
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication24/06/2005
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Out-of-print date19/04/2010
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight2302 g
- Width242 mm
- Height281 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Contained items statementContains Hardback and CD-ROM
- Edition Statement6th Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.