All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn epic narrative history that compares and contrasts the fortunes of all the countries that make up South Asia. If British India had t been partitioned in 1947, its population would today be the world's largest. At c1.5 billion, Midnight's Descendants (the offspring of those affected by 'the midnight hour' Partition) already outnumber Europeans and Chinese; and they are growing faster than either. They comprise all the peoples of what is w called 'South Asia' (the preferred term for the partitioned subcontinent of modern India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, plus Nepal and Sri Lanka). 'Midnight's Descendants' is the first history of the region as a whole. Correlating and contrasting the fortunes of all the constituent nations over the last six decades affords unique insights into what is hailed as one of the world's most dynamic regions. John Keay is an expert on the region and the book will be the first account to incorporate the rich story of South Asia's transnational, or 'diasporic', peoples - from the overlooked narratives of the subcontinent to the rise of India as a global force, 'Midnight's Descendants' will be expansive and tumultuous in the great tradition of India's narrative epics.
- Author BiographyJohn Keay was formerly a special correspondent for the Economist, and a documentary-maker for the BBC. He is the author of several books on the Indian subcontinent, including the bestselling 'India: A History'. He lives in Argyll, Scotland.
- Author(s)John Keay
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication13/08/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWilliam Collins
- Weight310 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.