All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $17.00Trending at AU $18.54
- AU $9.34Trending at AU $15.47
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $25.74
- AU $14.96Trending at AU $23.00
- AU $10.15Trending at AU $12.65
- AU $20.68Trending at AU $23.42
- AU $19.66Trending at AU $22.04
About this product
- DescriptionThe <i>Shakespeare Handbooks</i> provide a helpful, straightforward guide to the work of the world's most celebrated dramatist. Along with a clear, easy-to-follow description of the plot, each book contains plenty of quotations from the text - with simple explanations of any unfamiliar words and phrases - and some thought-provoking comments from critics, past and present. The <i>Shakespeare Handbooks</i> include a few intriguing Shakespearean facts and figures, too. How old was Shakespeare when he wrote <i>A Midsummer Night's Dream</i>? How did he smuggle in a subtle compliment to Queen Elizabeth I - and a gentle put-down to one of his critics? What did Samuel Pepys think of the play? Which topics are mentioned more frequently in this play than in any other by Shakespeare? And which piece of music inspired by <i>A Midsummer Night's Dream</i> is played week in and week out all over the world? If you're apprehensive about approaching a Shakespeare play, the <i>Shakespeare Handbooks</i> provide the perfect introduction. They're ideal for students, theatregoers - in fact, anyone curious to kw more about the greatest plays in the English language. These are a few of the appreciative comments we've received about the <i>Shakespeare Handbooks</i>: Tremendously useful in helping to understand Shakespeare's works - Dame Judi Dench. Very readable, very helpful - Kenneth Branagh. The <i>Shakespeare Handbooks</i> open the plays up admirably. Excellent for all levels of reader - everybody will get something from them. - Simon Callow.
- Author BiographyAlistair McCallum grew up in Stratford-upon-Avon, and was a regular visitor to the town's Royal Shakespeare Theatre from an early age. He later studied English Literature at Jesus College, Cambridge. Since graduating, he has worked as a teacher, editor and writer.
- Author(s)Alistair McCallum
- PublisherUpstart Crow Publications
- Date of Publication22/06/1998
- SubjectSchool Textbooks & Study Guides: Literature, Arts & Humanities
- Series TitleShakespeare Handbooks
- Place of PublicationBerwick
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintUpstart Crow Publications
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight104 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine4 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.