Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $78.63
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $71.23
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $114.18
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.73
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $76.35
- AU $12.63Trending at AU $18.69
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.47
About this product
- DescriptionAmbitious first vel ... meticulously crafted. (Times Literary Supplement) Harkcliffe Hall has stood for centuries at the edge of salt marshes alongside a river estuary. Inside it a widowed, childless woman clings to the name and traditions of the family she married into. She is visited periodically by her brother, a heavy drinker who one evening is driven home from the village pub in an alcoholic stupor by young Gideon Bradshaw, working as a part-time waiter while studying for an uncertain future. Gideon's life changes course as he enters the world of the Harkcliffe estate, finds himself drawn into its historic past and learns of its association with the local salt mines, once the most productive site in Britain. Now, with heir, the dynasty seems doomed to die out - but Gideon stumbles across secrets that reveal a desperate struggle to avoid the inevitable, while the threat of a catastrophic fate hangs over the Hall.
- Author BiographyDavid Walker is a British university Professor of French, an internationally recognized specialist on the literature and culture of France, and author of numerous critical books, including Outrage and Insight: Modern French Writers and the 'fait divers' and Consumer Chronicles: Cultures of Consumption in Modern French Literature. He writes in French and English, and is well-known both in France and beyond as a leading expert on the writings of Albert Camus and Andre Gide. He is a keen cyclist and the Tour de France combines two of his main interests. See http: //www.deconstructingthetour.group.shef.ac.uk/ Migrating Voids is his first work of fiction, and is inspired by the region where he grew up on the north-west coast of England.
- Author(s)David H Walker
- Date of Publication23/05/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight354 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.