All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough the name Rambert is w associated with modern dance, it is perhaps forgotten that the founder of the Rambert Dance Company, Marie Rambert, was one of the major instigators of the flowering of English Ballet in the 1930s. Never over-modest, she nicknamed herself 'the midwife at the birth of English ballet.' She died in 1982 at the age of 94. She was t just 'ather ballet person'; her long life was crowded with activity and achievement and a selfless dedication to art. A woman of taste in literature, music, theatre in all aspects, she nurtured and guided a remarkable number of gifted choreographers, tably Frederick Ashton, Antony Tudor, Andree Howard, Walter Gore, and later Norman Morrice and Christopher Bruce. She gave them the opportunity to try out their ideas on the tiny stage of the Mercury Theatre, built by her husband, the playwright Ashley Dukes. 'Mim' is about Marie Rambert the woman, from her upbringing in her native poland, living and working in the Paris of the 1920s, until the outbreak of the First World War brought her to England. Lively, witty, unpredictable, funny, often outrageous, she was as well kwn for her outbursts of temperament as she was for her artistic achievements. She inspired, exasperated, and goaded her unusual group of dancers and choreographers who recognised her qualities and dedication and relished working in an atmosphere that crackled and sparkled with creative life.
- Author BiographyBrigitte Kelly is an English dancer and teacher who was trained by Marie Rambert, danced with the Anglo-Polish Ballet, and taught for many years at the Rambert School in London.
- Author(s)Brigitte Kelly
- PublisherDance Books Ltd
- Date of Publication01/10/2009
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationHampshire
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintDance Books Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight302 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.