All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Mine-field, Paul Cleary counts the true human and ecomic costs of Australia's short-term mineral addiction. Australia is in the grip of a bad habit that won't be easy to break. As royalty-hungry governments license breakneck development of our finite mineral resources, people, families, communities and industries are being steamrolled by the mining juggernaut. Politicians consider them expendable victims as they roll out one big mining and gas project after ather. High-risk projects are being approved without a full assessment of the long-term consequences. Mining is happening in just about every productive corner of our country. The implications are ermous and beyond the capacity of governments to manage responsibly. Farmers have been worn down, many left with hundreds of coal-seam gas wells on their properties, after drawn-out negotiations with miners. A ground-breaking piece of reporting, Mine-field plots the dubious networks created and greased by mining companies to get their projects through and exposes regulatory gaps that must be addressed to avoid an ermous and irreversible cost on society and the environment.
- Author BiographyPaul Cleary is the author of Too Much Luck.
- Author(s)Paul Cleary
- PublisherBlack Inc.
- Date of Publication31/07/2012
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationMelbourne
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2012
- ImprintBlack Inc.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight200 g
- Width129 mm
- Height200 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.33Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.24Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $73.74Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $23.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.