All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $21.73Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.18Trending at AU $35.05
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume examines how Japan's increasingly multicultural population has impacted on the lives of mirity children and their peers at school, and how schools are responding to this trend in terms of providing mirity children with opportunities and preparing them for the adult society. The contributors focus on interactions between individuals and among groups representing diverse cultural backgrounds, and explore how such interactions are changing the landscape of education in increasingly multicultural Japan. Drawing on detailed micro-level studies of schooling, the chapters reveal the ways in which these individuals and groups (long-existing mirity groups, newcomers, and the 'mainstream Japanese') interact, and the significant consequences of such interactions on learning at school and the system of education as a whole. While the educational achievement of children of varying mirity groups continues to reflect their places in the social hierarchy, the boundaries of individual and group categories are negotiated by mutual interactions and remain fluid and situational. Mirities and Education in Multicultural Japan provides important insights into bottom-up policy making processes and consciously brings together English and Japanese scholarship. As such, it will be an important resource for those interested in education and mirity issues in Japan.
- Author BiographyRyoko Tsuneyoshi is a professor of comparative education at the Graduate School of Education, University of Tokyo. Kaori H. Okano is an associate professor in the School of Social Sciences, La Trobe University, Australia. Sarane Spence Boocock is an emeritus professor of sociology in the Department of Sociology and the Graduate School of Education at Rutgers University.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication12/10/2011
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note10 black & white tables, 12 black & white line drawings
- Weight498 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Edited byKaori H. Okano,Ryoko Tsuneyoshi,Sarane Boocock
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.