Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.98
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.13
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.80
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.02
About this product
- DescriptionSouth Asia is the theatre of myriad experimentations with nationalisms of various kinds - religious, linguistic, religio-linguistic, composite, plural and exclusivist. In all the region's major states, officially promulgated nationalism at various times has been fiercely contested by mirity groups intent on preserving what they see as the pristine purity of their own cultural inheritance. This volume examines the perspective of mirity identities as they negotiate their terms of co-existence, accommodation and adaptation with several other competing identities within the framework of the 'nation state' in South Asia. It examines three different kinds of mirity articulations - cultural conclaves with real or fictitious attachments to an imaginary homeland, the identity problems of dispersed mirities with territorial claims and the aspirations of indigeus communities, tribes or ethnicities. The essays in this volume offer a rich menu: the evolution of Naga nationalism, the construction of the territory-less Sylheti identity, the debates over Pashtun nationalism in Pakistan, the evolution of Muslim nationalism in Sri Lanka, the politics of religious mirities in Bangladesh and Pakistan, the making of mirity politics in India, and questions of Islam and nationalism in colonial India. It is an eclectic mix for students of nationalism, politics, modern history and anyone interested in the evolution of South Asia. This book was published as a special issue of South Asian History and Culture.
- Author BiographyTanweer Fazal is Lecturer at the Nelson Mandela Centre for Peace and Conflict Resolution, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication08/09/2014
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight294 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byTanweer Fazal
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.