Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $33.31Trending at AU $38.59
- AU $34.99Trending at AU $35.72
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $51.08
- AU $10.71Trending at AU $13.99
- AU $10.71Trending at AU $16.23
- AU $15.63Trending at AU $24.25
- AU $11.30Trending at AU $13.76
About this product
- Description'Miracles of Life' opens and closes in Shanghai, the city where J.G.Ballard was born, and where he spent the most of the Second World War interned with his family in a Japanese concentration camp. J.G. Ballard was, for over fifty years, one of this country's most significant writers. Beginning with the events that inspired his classic vel, Empire of the Sun , in this revelatory autobiography he charts the course of his astonishing life. Miracles of Life takes us from the vibrant surroundings of pre-war Shanghai, to the deprivations and unexpected freedoms of Lunghua Camp, to Ballard's arrival in a devastated Britain. Ballard recounts his first attempts at fiction and his part in the social and artistic revolutions of the 60s. He describes his friendships with figures as diverse as Kingsley Amis, Michael Moorcock and Eduardo Paolozzi alongside recollections of his domestic life in Shepperton - raising three children as a single father following the unexpected and premature death of his wife. Miracles of Life is both a captivating narrative of the experiences that have shaped this extraordinary writer's works, his distinctive outlook and his original visions of the future, and is also an account of a remarkable life.
- Author BiographyJ.G. Ballard was born in 1930 in Shanghai, where his father was a businessman. After internment in a civilian prison camp, he and his family returned to England in 1946. He published his first novel, The Drowned World, in 1961. His 1984 bestseller 'Empire of the Sun' won the Guardian Fiction Prize and the James Tait Black Memorial Prize, and was shortlisted for the Booker Prize. It was later filmed by Steven Spielberg. His most recent novel is 'Kingdom Come', published in 2006.
- PrizesShortlisted for Galaxy British Book Awards: Tesco Biography of the Year 2009.
- Author(s)J. G. Ballard
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication04/02/2008
- SubjectAutobiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFourth Estate Ltd
- Content Note20 black & white halftones, 20 b/w illus
- Weight190 g
- Width142 mm
- Height125 mm
- Read byTim Pigott-Smith
- Contained items statement4 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time265
- Edition StatementAbridged edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.