All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.83Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.11
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $84.79
- AU $61.22Trending at AU $69.47
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.12
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $24.54
- AU $37.91Trending at AU $41.12
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines the language studies of Western missionaries in China and beyond. The goal of this study is to examine the purpose, methods, context, and influence of missionary language studies. The book reveals new insights into the hitherto less well-known and unstudied origins of language thinking. These publically unknown sources virtually form our Â«hidden history of language. Some key 17th century and pre-17th century descriptions of language not only pass on our Greco-Latin Â«grammatical heritage internationally for about two millennia. They also reveal grammar, speaking, and language as an esoteric knowledge. Our modern life has been formed and influenced through both esoteric and common connotations in language. It is precisely the techniques, allusions, and intentions of language making revealed in rare, coded texts which have influenced our modern identities. These extraordinary and highly controversial interpretations of both language and Christianity reveal that our modern identities have been largely shaped in the absence of public knowledge and discussion.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Sandra Breitenbach, Ph.D., Sinology, Linguistics, and Japanese Studies, University of Gottingen (1996); study of Modern and Literary Chinese, Japanese, and Romance Languages in Taiwan and Spain; appointments as Assistant Professor, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, and Senior Lecturer for Linguistics, Chinese, English, German, and Spanish at Universities and Private Schools in Canada, Norway, and the USA; awards include Lifetime Achievement Award and International Peace Prize.
- Author(s)Sandra Breitenbach
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/10/2008
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Note6, 6 tables
- Weight300 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.