All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $74.59Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.31Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $17.55Trending at AU $22.92
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the true story of a torious rape and murder of a young girl. Jeanine Nicarico was kidnapped from her home in Naperville, Illiis and brutally killed in February, 1983. Three young men were tried for this horrible crime. Two were convicted and put on death row. While this case was going through the courts, and the accused men were locked up, two other brutal murders similar to the first occurred in neighboring counties. Ather man, Brian Dugan, confessed to all three murders. Yet the authorities in DuPage County, where Jeanine was killed, would t give up their theory of how she was killed. When the Illiis Supreme Court found the accused had t received a fair trial prosecutors in DuPage prepared to try them again. Even when Dugan's DNA matched that found at the crime scene they continued their prosecution of the case. At the beginning of the second trial, one policeman admitted he was mistaken about his testimony earlier and all the cases were thrown out of court. But t before one man had spent thirteen years on death row. In 1996 a specially empaneled grand jury took the unusual step of indicting seven police investigators and prosecutors for obstruction of justice in the Nicarico case. In 1999 they were tried and acquitted. It is problematic whether their indictment served as a warning to other prosecutors who may develop their own tunnel vision in their investigations.
- Author BiographyLettie McSpadden is Political Science Professor Emerita at Northern Illinois University. She taught Judicial Process and Environmental Policy at both Northern and the University of Illinois at Chicago and has published widely in those fields.
- Author(s)Lettie McSpadden
- PublisherBooksurge Publishing
- Date of Publication11/07/2009
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBooksurge Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight245 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.