All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
About this product
- DescriptionModern Iraqi Arabic with MP3 Files is an introductory textbook - suitable for classroom or self-study - for those with previous kwledge of Arabic or those who kw Arabic but want to learn the Iraqi dialect. A detailed discussion of the consonants, vowels, and other characteristics of Iraqi phonetics - including pronunciation exercises on the CD - serves the needs of travelers, businesspeople, diplomats, archaeologists, and scholars who want to learn to speak the language quickly and efficiently. Using the dialect of middle-class Baghdad, twenty lessons are arranged in a story-like format and are based on everyday travel situations. From arriving at the airport to getting to the hotel, students will learn proper greetings and introductions; how to ask for directions, take a taxi, and tell time; and, prepare for daily activities like visiting the bank, museum, post office, and restaurants. The book contains basic dialogue, grammar, vocabulary, drills, and an extensive glossary. A section of idiomatic phrases, accompanied by their cultural, religious, or proverbial explanations, offers insight into current Iraqi culture. In this edition, Arabic script has been added so that the reader has a choice of following the Arabic writing or the transcription in the Roman alphabet. Four entirely new lessons cover medical care, media (radio, television, and journalism), telephone conversations, and cultural and folkloric tales. All audio materials from the first edition - plus new audio materials for the new lessons - are included as MP3 files on a CD bound into the book.
- Author BiographyYasin M. Alkalesi is founder and president of Arabico, Inc., a California corporation that offers language translation, educational audiovisual materials, and crosscultural programs to American businesspeople and companies working in the Middle East. Modern Iraqi Arabic is the summation of his thirty years of experience in teaching Arabic at Yale University, the University of California, Los Angeles, Berlitz Language Centers, and Arabico.
- Author(s)Yasin M. Alkalesi
- PublisherGeorgetown University Press
- Date of Publication01/10/2006
- LanguageArabic & English
- FormatMixed media product
- SubjectLanguage Learning (other than ELT)
- Place of PublicationWashington, DC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGeorgetown University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations, map
- Weight658 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Contained items statementContains Paperback and CD-ROM (Audiobook)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.