All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.88
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.81
About this product
- DescriptionMajida Mouasher owned an art gallery called 4 Walls, in Amman, Jordan between 2000 and 2006. During that time she worked with more than ninety artists, 45 of whom form the nucleus of her beautiful and important private collection comprised of contemporary art from the Middle East in general and the Levant in particular, spanning over sixty years of superb quality art. In Jordan at the time there were mostly foundations or institutions, and only very few contemporary art galleries. The artists depended mostly upon their own personal efforts and contacts in order to promote themselves. There was a vacuum that needed to be filled and a public that wanted to see contemporary art and get to kw the artists. The aim of 4 Walls was to promote the artists by exhibiting and helping sell their works. During that period, Majida Mouasher bought consistently work from these artists. What makes this collection so special, is that even though it is concentrated on the Levant, it is very diverse. The artists in the collection have deep cultural roots from whatever the origin of their inspiration is; be it China, Russia, the West or their country of origin. Though many of them are w living in the diaspora, they all share in common an honest reaction to their environment, their cultural and social or historical backgrounds, their ethnic origins or political upheavals. Due to the wars and upheavals in the Middle East, people are moving across countries and to the shorelines of Europe, bringing with them new and different cultural ways. Now that the Middle East is so much in the spotlight, there is an urgency to show its contemporary art to the Western public. Art can bypass conflicts and bring more and better understanding between cultures. The artists in the collection and presented in this book are: Chafik Abboud, Nawal Abdallah Adonis, Nasr Abdul Aziz, Saadi Al Kaabi, Nuha Al Radi, Shaker Hassan Al Said, Rajwa Ali, Hani Alqam, Clara Amado, Mohammad Al-Ameri, Jamal Ashour, Dia Azzawi, Khaled Barakeh, Kamal Boullata, Diana Chamounky, Hiram Charib, Ghada Dahdaleh, Dodi, Muhanna Durra, Ismail Fattah, Ghassan Ghaeb, Riham Ghassib, Samia Halaby, Himat, Farouk Kaspauli,s Ammar Khammash, Khalid Khreis, Sadik Kwaish Alfraji, Halim Mahdi, Fouad Mimi, Mohammad Nasrallah, Rafa' Nassiri, Joman Nimri, Said Nusseibih, Mahmoud Obaidi, Karim Rissan, Khalil Ryyan, Nabil Shehadeh, Rula Shukairy, Samer Tabbaa, Mahmoud Taha, Madiha Omar, Samer Ussama (Samer Hatam,) Wijdan, and, Nazar Yahya. The book will contain in-depth texts from: Luit Mols Ph.D., owner of Sabiel - Research, Curating, Education and Consultancy in Islamic Art; Nada M. Shabout Ph.D., Professor of Art History at the University of North Texas and President and cofounding board member of the Association for Modern and Contemporary Art of the Arab World, Iran, Turkey (AMCA); H.R.H. Princess Wijdan Al-Hashemi Ph.D., President of the Royal Society of Fine Arts, Amman, Jordan.
- Author BiographyWith texts by Majida Mouasher; HRH Princess Wijdan al-Hashemi PhD (painter and founder and president of the Royal Society of Fine Arts, Amman, Jordan); Nada Shabout PhD (Professor of Art History and Director of the Contemporary Arab and Muslim Studies Institute at the University of North Texas) and Dr. Luitgard Mols. The artists in the collection and presented in this book are: Shafic Abboud, Nasr Abdul Aziz, Nawal Abdullah, Adonis, Himat Mohammed Ali, Rajwa Ali, Hani Alqam, Mohammad Al-Ameri, Jamal Ashour, Dia Azzawi, Khaled Barakeh, Kamal Boullata, Ghada Dahdaleh, Mohanna Durra, Ismail Fattah, Riham Ghassib, Ghassan Ghayeb, Samia Halaby, Wijdan Al-Hashemi, Samer Usama Hatam, Saadi Al-Kaabi, Halim Al-Karim, Farouk Kaspaules, Ammar Khammash, Khalid Khreis, Sadik Kwaish Alfraji, Houssein Madi, Fouad Mimi, Rafa Al-Nasiri, Mohammad Nasrallah, Juman Nimri, Said Nuseibeh, Mahmoud Obaidi, Nuha Al-Radi, Khalil Raian, Kareem Risan, Shaker Hassan Al-Said, Diana Shamounki, Nabil Shehadeh, Rula Shukairy, Samer Tabbaa, Mahmoud Taha, Madiha Umar, Nazar Yahya.
- Author(s)Luitgard Mols,Majida Mouasher
- PublisherSchilt Publishing b.v.
- Date of Publication17/11/2016
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationAmsterdam
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- ImprintSchilt Publishing b.v.
- Weight1180 g
- Width240 mm
- Height300 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.