All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.69Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
About this product
- DescriptionDrawing on a variety of interdisciplinary debates in cultural studies and contemporary theory, Modernism, Inc. provides a new look at the relationship between modernism and postmodernism within the critical frame of twentieth-century American culture. Organized around the idea of incorporation --embodiment, repressed memory, and advanced capitalism--Modernism, Inc. covers a wide range of topics: Josephine Baker's hot house style ; the president's penis in American political life; myth-making and the Hoover Dam; trauma, poetics, and the Armenian gecide; feminist kitsch and the recuperation of North America's Great Lady painters ; Gertrude Stein and Jewish Social Science; the Re Divorce Factory and the production of gender; Andy Razaf and Black Bolshevism. Collectively, the essays suggest that the relationship between the modern and the postmodern is t one of rupture, belatedness, dilution, or extremity, but of haunting. Modernism, Inc. looks at our ghosts, and at the unspeakable secrets of modernity from which they're derived. Contributors: Maria Damon, Walter Kalidjian, Walter Lew, Janet Lyon, William J. Maxwell, Cary Nelson, John Timberman Newcombe, David G. Nicholls, Thomas Pepper, Paula Rabiwitz, Daniel Rosenberg, Marlon Ross, Jani Scandura, Kathleen Stewart, Julia Walker.
- Author BiographyJani Scandura is Assistant Professor of English at the University of Minnesota. Michael Thurston is Assistant Professor of English at Yale.
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication01/08/2000
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleCultural Front
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight567 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Edited byJani Scandura
- Volume editorMichael Thurston
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.