All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $59.39Trending at AU $61.38
About this product
- DescriptionBetween the two World Wars, there was an unprecedented need for new houses in Britain which resulted in a building boom. While only a small percentage of this building took the form of Modernism, there was still a significant number of semis and terraces built for the workers and middle-class families in the 1920s and 1930s built in this style. This book examines these modest Modernist houses within the broader context of the Modern Movement in Europe, as well as the inter-war building boom in suburban Britain. Illustrated with line drawings and photographs of more than 30 examples from around the country, and based on little-kwn contemporary material such as catalogues, advertisements, radio broadcasts and letters, it shows how these houses speak of a time of political, social and artistic unrest, and a world where the avant-garde architects sought to capture the spirit of modern techlogy in their designs for the average home owner. While the Modernist houses never became popular with the general public, the fact that so many are still standing and w sought after by twenty-first century families speak for their endurance and special appeal.
- Author BiographyFinn Jensen completed an MA in architecture at Liverpool John Moores University in 2006 following a career in the quality and reliability assurance of electronics. He is a doctorate and the author or co-author of three books within this field. Following his retirement as a consultant in 2004, he has devoted his time to the study of domestic architecture, especially in the UK, and is now a full time researcher and writer.
- Author(s)Finn Jensen
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication19/04/2012
- Series TitleAshgate Studies in Architecture
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 145 b&w illustrations
- Weight716 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Series Edited byDr. Eamonn Canniffe
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.