All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $59.39Trending at AU $61.38
About this product
- DescriptionWhile the vast majority of our food supplies are nutritious and safe, foodborne pathogen-related illness still affects millions of people each year. Large outbreaks of foodborne diseases - such as the recent salmonella outbreak linked to various peanut butter products - continue to be reported with alarming frequency. All-Encompassing Guide to Detection Techniques One of the most effective ways to control and prevent human foodborne infections is to implement a pathogen surveillance system. Addressing the biology, epidemiology, and pathogenesis of more than 60 microorganisms, Molecular Detection of Foodborne Pathogens demonstrates how to implement a surveillance system that uses state-of-the-art molecular techniques to quickly detect and identify bacterial, fungal, viral, and parasitic pathogens concerned. Included in each chapter: * Concise review of the selected pathogen in respect to its biology, epidemiology, and pathogenesis * Summary of molecular detection methods available * Description of clinical/food sample collection and preparation procedures * Selection of robust, effective, step-by-step detection protocols * Discussion of the current challenges and ongoing research needs to further extend utility and performance of molecular diagstic methods With proven, ready-to-use protocols (including commercial kits), this globally pertinent resource demonstrates how speedy and effective detection methods can lead to more lives saved and a consistently safe, quality, and trustworthy food supply.
- Author BiographyDongyou Liu, Ph.D., is currently a research scientist at Human Genetic Signatures, North Ryde, NSW, Australia. Previously, he graduated in 1982 with a veterinary science degree from Hunan Agricultural University, China, and then completed his postgraduate study on immunological diagnosis of human hydatid disease in 1989 at the University of Melbourne, Australia. During the past two decades, he has worked in several research and clinical laboratories in Australia and the United States of America, with emphases on the molecular mechanisms of bacterial pathogenicity and the development of nucleic acid-based assays for species- and virulence-specific determination of microbial pathogens such as ovine footrot bacterium (Dichelobacter nodosus), dermatophyte fungi (Trichophyton, Microsporum and Epidermophyton) and listeriae (Listeria species). He is the editor of Handbook of Listeria monocytogenes and Handbook of Nucleic Acid Purification, both of which are published by CRC Press.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication24/07/2009
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationBosa Roca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCRC Press Inc
- Content Note74 black & white illustrations, 157 black & white tables
- Weight2245 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine46 mm
- Edited byDongyou Liu
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.