All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJon Macks is one of the greatest comedy writers of all time. Chris Rock A hilarious, revealing look behind the history and culture of American late-night TV, by a longtime comedy writer for The Tonight Show with Jay Le. Ever since Johnny Carson first popularized the late-night talk show in 1962 with The Tonight Show, the eleven p.m. to two a.m. comedy time slot on network television has remained an indelible part of our national culture. More than six popular late-night shows air every night of the week, and with recent major shake-ups in the industry, late-night television has never been more relevant to our public consciousness than it is today. Jon Macks, a veteran writer for The Tonight Show with Jay Le, takes us behind the scenes of this world for an in-depth, colorful look at what really makes these hosts the arbiters of public opinion. From the opening mologue what s funny, what s dangerous, what s untouchable to the best vs. worst guests, Macks covers the landscape of late-night comedy and punctuates the narrative with hysterical personal anecdotes, shining the spotlight on some of the very best late night jokes, and drawing from more than half a million of his own jokes written over the span of twenty years. With an insider s expertise and a laugh-out-loud voice, Macks explains how late-night TV redefines the news and events of any given day, reshapes public opinion, and even creates our national zeitgeist.
- Author BiographyJON MACKS is the author of four previous books and was a top writer for The Tonight Show with Jay Leno for all twenty-two years Leno was on the air. He has also written for eighteen Academy Awards, the Emmy Awards, the Golden Globes, the Tony Awards, and for some of the nation s top comedians, politicians, corporate leaders, and sports commentators. Among the personalities Macks writes for are Billy Crystal, Martin Short, Steve Martin, Hugh Jackman, Terry Bradshaw, and Chris Rock. He lives in Los Angeles.
- Author(s)Jon Macks
- PublisherBlue Rider Press
- Date of Publication19/04/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHumour: Collections & General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBlue Rider Press
- Weight181 g
- Width137 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.00Trending at AU $50.44
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.00
- AU $68.62Trending at AU $90.31
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $34.88
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $36.15
- AU $26.99Trending at AU $30.94
- AU $37.75Trending at AU $39.42
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.