All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.77
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
About this product
- DescriptionCharlotte Lawson remembers the sense-awakening arrival of the Indian monsoons. The rain was part of her annual vacations, when she traveled from her English boarding school to spend holidays with her parents on the tea and coffee plantation in Karnataka. Monsoons is a collection of twelve fascinating vignettes drawn from Lawson's childhood and adult life centered on the land of her birth-but t her citizenship, even though her family had long been tied to India. At her traditional British boarding school from the age of six, Lawson rarely saw her three sisters. Separated by age, they were kept apart by the school system. Only trips to their grandmother's or summer holidays reunited the girls. Join Lawson as a young girl making long, unescorted flights from London to Bombay and Bangalore with her sisters, to spend her summers exploring the plantations, temples, and ruins. Her dual existence left her torn between two worlds, but her heart always returned to India. A tale of the lasting influence of postcolonial India on one woman's life, Monsoons captures a period of time spanning forty years-and the intense pull of the Indian subcontinent, continuously calling Lawson home.
- Author BiographyCharlotte Lawson was born in India and spent her childhood and early adulthood shuttling between England and India. Her time in India left her very familiar with the places of Karnataka and many friendships. Lawson's family had a long history in India, and she explored temples and ruins with a personal interest. She combined her love of adventure and horses while working on a thoroughbred farm in Hassan. Visits to Karnataka over the past five years have given her opportunity to observe the changes-both subtle and dramatic-and understand her connection to India. A mother of two adult children, Lawson can be found cycle touring and planning her next trip to India when she is not working. She holds a BA in geography, an MA in education and is a graduate of The Writer's Studio, Simon Fraser University's creative writing program. She now lives in Vancouver, Canada.
- Author(s)Charlotte J Lawson
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication27/11/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Out-of-print date12/02/2017
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight145 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.