All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the 'Monster of Ravenna' to the 'Elephant Man', Myra Hindley and Ted Bundy, the visualization of 'real', human monsters has always played a part in how society sees itself. But what is the function of a monster? Why do we need to embody and represent what is monstrous? This book investigates the appearance of the human monster in Western culture, both historically and in our contemporary society. It argues that images of real (rather than fictional) human monsters help us both to identify and to interrogate what constitutes rmality; we construct what is acceptable in humanity by depicting what is t quite acceptable. By exploring theories and examples of abrmality, freakishness, madness, otherness and identification, Alexa Wright demonstrates how monstrosity and the monster are social and cultural constructs. However, it soon becomes clear that the social function of the monster - however altered a form it takes - remains constant; it is societal self-defense allowing us to keep perceived monstrosity at a distance.Through engaging with the work of Michel Foucault, Julia Kristeva and Canguilhem (to name but a few) Wright scrutinizes and critiques the history of a mode of thinking. She reassesses and explodes conventional concepts of identity, obscuring the boundaries between what is 'rmal' and what is t.
- Author BiographyAlexa Wright is Reader in Visual Culture at the University of Westminster. She is also a practicing artist who works with video, sound and interactive digital media
- Author(s)Alexa Wright
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd.
- Date of Publication30/05/2013
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note40 integrated bw
- Weight399 g
- Width134 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.74Trending at AU $16.27
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $14.06Trending at AU $20.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.