All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBest kwn for her classic gardening book Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden, Elear Perenyi had quite a wordly life before settling down in Connecticut with her flowers. More Was Lost is a memoir of her youth abroad, written in the early days of World War II after her return to the United States. In 1937, at the age of nineteen, in the midst of a European tour with her mother, Perenyi falls in love with a poor Hungarian baron and in short order acquires both a title and a struggling country estate at the edge of the Carpathians. She throws herself into this new agrarian life with zeal, learning Hungarian, and observing the invisible order of the Czech rule, the resentment of the native Ruthenians, and the haughtiness of the dispossessed Hungarians. In the midst of massive political upheaval and shifting allegiances, Perenyi and her husband remain steadfast in their dedication to their new life together, an alliance that would soon be tested by the war. With old-fashioned ease, frankness, and wit, Perenyi recounts this tragic tale of how much was gained and how much more was lost.
- Author BiographyEleanor Perenyi (1918-2009) was born in Washington, where she attended the National Cathedral School for Girls before leaving with her parents--Ellis Spencer Stone, a naval officer who worked as a military attache to the American Embassy in Paris, and Grace Zaring Stone, a novelist--to travel. In 1937 she met Baron Zsigmond Perenyi at a diplomatic dinner in Budapest and married him shortly after, moving to his family's castle in Ruthenia, under Czech rule at the time. The author tended to the family's 750-acre farm and would continue garden for the rest of her life, writing Green Thoughts in 1981, widely considered a garden writing classic. World War II put Ruthenia in political turmoil, and in the 1940s the author left Europe, divorced Baron Perenyi in 1945, and eventually settled in New York and then Connecticut, working at various magazines, including Harper's Bazaar and Mademoiselle.
- Author(s)Eleanor Perenyi
- PublisherThe New York Review of Books, Inc
- Date of Publication21/04/2016
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNYRB Classics
- Weight318 g
- Width130 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edition StatementMain
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.88
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.