All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.55
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
About this product
- DescriptionThis text explores how Americans attempt to give meaning to the natural world that surrounds them. Although nature has often been treated as an unproblematic reality, Gary Fine suggests that the meanings we assign to the natural environment are culturally grounded. In other words, there is nature separate from culture. He calls this process of cultural construction and interpretation, naturework . Of course there is denying the physical reality of trees, mountains, earthquakes, and hurricanes, but, he argues, they must be interpreted to be made meaningful. Fine supports this claim by examining the fascinating world of mushrooming. He highlights the range of meanings that mushrooms have for mushroomers. He details how mushrooms talk about their finds - turning their experiences into fish stories (the one that got away), war stories, and treasure tales; how mushroomers routinely joke about dying from or killing others with misidentified mushrooms, and how this dark humour contributes to the sense of community among collectors. Fine also describes the sometimes tense, sometimes friendly relations between amateur mushroom collectors and professional mycologists. He extends his argument to show that the elaboration of cultural meanings found among mushroom collectors is equally applicable to birders, butterfly collectors, rock hounds, and other naturalists.
- Author BiographyGary Alan Fine is Professor of Sociology at Northwestern University.
- Author(s)Gary Alan Fine
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication27/05/1998
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Notenotes, index
- Weight590 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.