All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $23.73Trending at AU $24.66
- AU $125.98Trending at AU $129.71
- AU $168.00Trending at AU $182.59
- AU $64.99Trending at AU $74.40
- AU $25.64Trending at AU $28.85
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $12.74
- AU $69.99Trending at AU $88.77
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1997, the death of an 87-year-old nun in Kolkata, in India, sparked an outbreak of mourning across the globe. Why? The nun was Mother Teresa - one of the most iconic spiritual figures of the 20th century. She became famous for her work with, and compassion towards, the world's poorest people. She and the fellow nuns of her order tended to the vulnerable, sick and dying in the most poverty-stricken places, providing care, love and compassion where it was most needed. But who was this extraordinary woman, and what inspired her, the daughter of a wealthy Albanian businessman, to dedicate her life to such a cause? Mother Teresa looks at her remarkable story, and how she became such a popular and widely-celebrated figure. It looks at how and why she went about setting up her order as well as her work with people suffering from leprosy. The publicity she undertook to raise the profile of her work, and the criticism she faced, are also discussed. The Catholic faith, and the charitable work the Church undertakes around the world, is explained, as are some of its more complex terms and processes. Boxes on each spread provide background information on topics as varied as how saints are created, the Nobel Peace Prize, Kolkata, and how an order of nuns is created.
- Author BiographyPaul Harrison is an award-winning editor and author. He has written a wide variety of books for children, and has a particular passion for modern history. He lives with his wife and son in Hove, East Sussex.
- Author(s)Paul Harrison
- PublisherHachette Children's Group
- Date of Publication14/01/2016
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWayland (Publishers) Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight304 g
- Width195 mm
- Height256 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Educational LevelUK School Key Stage 2
- Interest AgeFrom 9
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.