All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $31.45Trending at AU $32.35
- AU $56.25Trending at AU $57.83
- AU $161.21Trending at AU $168.83
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $68.01Trending at AU $77.08
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.00
- AU $12.86Trending at AU $16.85
About this product
- DescriptionMahasweta Devi is one of India's foremost literary figures. Mother of 1084 is one of her most widely read works, written during the height of the Naxalite agitation - a militant communist uprising that was brutally repressed by the Indian government and led to the widespread murder of young rebels across Bengal. This vel focuses on the trauma of a mother who awakens one morning to the shattering news that her son is lying dead in the morgue and her struggle to understand his decision to be a Naxalite. Breast Stories is a collection of short fiction about the breast as more than a symbol of beauty, eroticism, or motherhood, but as a harsh ndictment of an exploitative social system and a weapon of resistance. At a time when violence towards women in India has escalated exponentially, Devi exposes the inherently vicious systems in Indian society. Old Women tells the touching, poignant tales of two timeworn women - Dulali, a widow since childhood, who is w an old woman preoccupied only with day-to-day survival, and Andi, who loses her eyesight due to a combination of poverty, societal indifference, and government apathy. All three volumes, written in Devi's hard-hitting yet sensitive prose, are significant milestones in India's feminist literary landscape.
- Author BiographyMahasweta Devi is the author of numerous plays, essays, novels, and short stories, including Bait and Queen of Jhansi, also published by Seagull Books. Samik Bandyopadhyay is a critic, scholar, and translator. Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak is university professor at Columbia University and the author of many books, including Nationalism and the Imagination and Harlem, also published by Seagull Books.
- Author(s)Mahasweta Devi
- PublisherSeagull Books Pvt.Ltd
- Date of Publication01/01/1999
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationKolkata
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintSeagull Books Pvt.Ltd
- Weight216 g
- Width130 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Introduction bySamik Bandyopadhyay
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.