All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSofia Petrovna Svechina (1782 1857), better kwn as Madame Sophie Swetchine, was the hostess of a famous nineteenth-century Parisian salon. A Russian emigre, Svechina moved to France with her husband in 1816. She had recently converted to Roman Catholicism, and the salon she opened acquired a distinctly religious character. It quickly became one of the most popular salons in Paris and was a meeting place for the French intellectual Catholic elite and members of the Liberal Catholic movement. As a salonniere, Svechina developed close friendships with some of the most ted public figures in the Liberal Catholic movement. Her involvement with her guests went deeper than the typical salonniere's. She was a mentor, spiritual counselor, and intellectual advisor to many distinguished Parisian men and women, and her influence extended beyond the walls of her salon into the public world of politics and ideas. In this fascinating biography, Tatyana Bakhmetyeva seeks to understand the creative process that informed Svechina's life and examines her subject in the context of nineteenth-century thought and letters. It will appeal to educated readers interested in European and Russian history, the history of Catholicism, and women's history.
- Author BiographyTatyana V. Bakhmetyeva is a lecturer at the Susan B. Anthony Institute for Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies at the University of Rochester.
- Author(s)Tatyana V. Bakhmetyeva
- PublisherNorthern Illinois University Press
- Date of Publication17/02/2017
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationDekalb, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorthern Illinois University Press
- Weight476 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.46
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.03
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.