All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis collection of essays examines the relevancy of motorsports to American culture and history, from the late nineteenth century to the present. Addressing a wide spectrum of motorsports-such as stock car racing, demolition derbies, land speed record pursuits, and even staged train wrecks-the essays highlight the social and cultural implications of contemporary and historical moments in these events. Topics covered include gender roles in motorsports, hot rods and the creation of fan and participant identities, the appeal of demolition derbies, the globalization of motorsports, moonshine's role in stock car history, the ecomic relationship between NASCAR and sponsors, and more.
- Author BiographyMark D. Howell is professor of communications at Northwestern Michigan College. He is an internationally-recognized automobile historian and motorsports scholar. His numerous publications include the book From Moonshine to Madison Avenue: A Cultural History of the NASCAR Winston Cup Series and his Professor of Speed columns are regularly posted on Frontstretch.com, an award-winning automobile racing web site. John D. Miller is assistant professor of literature and cultural studies at Longwood University in Farmville, Virginia. A former freelance motorsports writer, his recent scholarly publications include essays on Southern literature and popular culture.
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication10/04/2014
- SubjectMotor Sports & Cycling
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Content Note20 black & white halftones, 2 tables
- Weight508 g
- Width161 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byJohn D. Miller,Mark Howell
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.26
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $30.97Trending at AU $33.19
- AU $34.13Trending at AU $37.90
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.