All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDigital techlogies offer the possibility of capturing, storing, and manipulating movement, abstracting it from the body and transforming it into numerical information. In Moving without a Body, Stamatia Portava considers what really happens when the physicality of movement is translated into a numerical code by a techlogical system. Drawing on the radical empiricism of Gilles Deleuze and Alfred North Whitehead, she argues that this does t amount to a technical assessment of software's capacity to record motion but requires a philosophical rethinking of what movement itself is, or can become. Discussing the development of different audiovisual tools and the shift from analog to digital, she focuses on some choreographic realizations of this evolution, including works by Loie Fuller and Merce Cunningham. Throughout, Portava considers these techlogies and dances as ways to think -- rather than just perform or perceive -- movement. She distinguishes the choreographic thought from the performance: a body performs a movement, and a mind thinks or choreographs a dance. Similarly, she sees the move from analog to digital as a shift in conception rather than simply in technical realization. Analyzing choreographic techlogies for their capacity to redesign the way movement is thought, Moving without a Body offers an ambitiously conceived reflection on the ontological implications of the encounter between movement and techlogical systems.
- Author BiographyStamatia Portanova is an independent scholar.
- Author(s)Stamatia Portanova
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication23/04/2013
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleTechnologies of Lived Abstraction
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note15 figures
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.90
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.70
- AU $9.06Trending at AU $14.03
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.87
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.83
- AU $20.29Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.