All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.25
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.14
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.33
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $105.74
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.77
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.30
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $96.21
About this product
- DescriptionPeter Sellers's explosive talent made him a beloved figure in world cinema and continues to attract new audiences. With his darkly comic performances in <em>Dr. Strangelove</em> and <em>Lolita</em> and his outrageously funny appearances as Inspector Clouseau in the Pink Panther films, he became one of the most popular movie stars of his time. Sellers himself identified most personally with the character he played in <em>Being There</em>--an utterly empty man on whom others projected what they wanted, or needed, to see.</br></br> In this lively and exhaustively researched biography, Ed Sikov offers unique insight into Sellers's comedy style. Beginning with Sellers' lonely childhood with a mother who wouldn't let go of him, through his service in the Royal Air Force and his success on BBC Radio's <em>The Goon Show</em>, Sikov goes on to detail his relationships with co-stars such as Alec Guinness, Sophia Loren, and Shirley MacLaine; his work with such directors as Stanley Kubrick, Billy Wilder, and Blake Edwards; his four failed marriages; his ridiculously short engagement to Liza Minnelli; and all the other peculiarities of this eccentric man's unpredictable life.</br></br> The most insightful biography ever written of this endlessly fascinating star, <em>Mr. Strangelove</em> is as comic and tragic as Peter Sellers was himself.
- Author Biography<strong>Ed Sikov</strong> is the author of <em>On Sunset Boulevard: The Life and Times of Billy Wilder</em>, <em>Screwball</em>, <em>Laughing Hysterically</em>, and <em>Study Guide for American Cinema</em>. He earned a doctorate in film studies at Columbia University and has taught film courses at Haverford and Colorado colleges. He lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Ed Sikov
- PublisherLittle, Brown & Company
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLittle, Brown and Company
- Out-of-print date08/09/2008
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight748 g
- Width163 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine34 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.