All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe New York Times -bestselling author Donald McCaig has established an expansive literary career, founded equally on books on working sheepdogs and the Civil War vels Jacob's Ladder and Rhett Butler's People , the official sequel to Gone with the Wind . In his new book, Mr. and Mrs. Dog , McCaig draws on twenty-five years of experience raising sheepdogs to vividly describe his--and his dogs June and Luke's--unlikely progress toward and participation in the World Sheepdog Trials in Wales. McCaig engagingly chronicles the often gruelling experience--through rain, sw, ice storms, and brain-numbing heat-- preparing and trialling Mrs. Dog June, a foxy lady in a slinky black-and-white peigir, and Mr. Dog Luke, a plain worker- flash to him. Along the way, he relays sage advice from his decades spent talking with America's most rewned dog experts, from police-dog trainers to positive-training gurus. As readers of McCaig's vels will expect, Mr. and Mrs. Dog delivers far more than straightforward dog-training tips. Revealing an abiding love and respect for his dogs, McCaig unveils the life experiences that set him on the long road to the Welsh trial fields. Starting with memories of his first dog, Rascal, and their Montana roadtrip in a '48 Dodge, McCaig leads us into his thirties, when he abandons his New York advertising career to move to a run-down Appalachian sheep farm in the least populous county in Virginia. This 1960s agrarian adventure ultimately brings McCaig, Luke, and June to the Olympics of sheepdog trials. In his narration of one man's love for his dogs, McCaig offers a powerful portrayal of the connection between humans and their animal companions.
- Author BiographyDonald McCaig , a New York Times-bestselling novelist, poet, and essayist, is the author of Nop's Trials, Nop's Hope, The Dog Wars, A Useful Dog (Virginia), Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men, Last Poems, and An American Homeplace (Virginia). A sheepdog trainer, he lives with his wife Anne and nine dogs on a farm in the western mountains of Virginia, USA.
- Author(s)Donald McCaig
- PublisherUniversity of Virginia Press
- Date of Publication30/03/2013
- SubjectPets & Equine
- Place of PublicationCharlottesville
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Virginia Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, frontispiece
- Weight426 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $37.91
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.03
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.