CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.34Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
About this product
- DescriptionThe mass migration of folk from the countryside to Bradford at the height of the Industrial Revolution resulted in large numbers of people existing in abject poverty, as thousands were housed in filthy and overcrowded rooms and cellar dwellings. For many, an escape from these conditions was a few hours in the public house, where alcohol and trouble flowed freely. The proverbial 'demon drink' was to fuel much of Victorian crime in the borough, including the most heius of all - murder. Murder by Gaslight in Victorian Bradford is a fascinating insight into how demoralising and harsh life was for those living and working in this industrial boom town during a period of rapid growth (1857 - 97). Contemporary newspaper accounts were incredibly detailed and graphic in their content. Embark on a trip back in crime to see the lives of people who have quite literally slipped into obscurity. For the most part, their only memorial was an overgrown and unmarked grave, until w.
- Author BiographyMark is a keen social historian and has photographed Bradford from the core out for several years, recording the changing history of this great northern city. Mark lives in Haworth, Bradford. His previous books with Amberley include West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum Through Time, Bradford Through Time and Ilkley Through Time.
- Author(s)George Sheeran,Mark Davis
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/11/2013
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note43
- Weight295 g
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.