All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
About this product
- DescriptionThe Story Behind America's Iconic Patch of Sand--Muscle Beach, California Almost half a century before health clubs, fitness videos and weight training became American obsessions, a pioneering enclave in Santa Monica, California, started the physical culture boom. In the 1940s, Jack LaLanne, Vic Tanny, Joe Gold, Les and Pudgy Stockton and other like them drew thousands of visitors to the beach to watch their feats of strength and acrobatic displays. As more viewers became participants, body building and fitness became a part of the mainstream culture. Muscle Beach is full of rich, new material about the original Muscle Beachers, many of whom are still alive and testaments to the benefits of a life devoted to fitness. With its fresh anecdotes and thirty-two rare and wonderful photographs, this history brings a legendary stretch of beach into focus.
- Author BiographyMarla Matzer Rose is a Los Angeles-based journalist. She currently works as an editor/reporter for Business.com. She has worked for the Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Daily News and Forbes magazine. She won a Golden Quill award in 1996 from the Western Pennsylvania Press Club for an investigative feature in Pittsburgh Magazine.
- Author(s)Marla Matzer Rose
- PublisherL.A. Weekly Books
- Date of Publication15/03/2001
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral Sport & Fitness Training
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintL.A. Weekly Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight218 g
- Width139 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.