All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume charts a new frontier of applied ethmusicology by highlighting the role of music in both inciting and resolving a spectrum of social and political conflicts in the contemporary world. Examining the materials and practices of music-making, contributors detail how music and performance are deployed to critique power structures and to nurture cultural awareness among communities in conflict. The essays here range from musicological studies to ethgraphic analyses to accounts of practical interventions that could serve as models for conflict resolution. Music and Conflict reveals how musical texts are manipulated by opposing groups to promote conflict and how music can be utilized to advance conflict resolution. Speaking to the cultural implications of globalization and pointing out how music can promote a shared musical heritage across borders, the essays discuss the music of Albania, Azerbaijan, Brazil, Egypt, Germany, Indonesia, Iran, Ireland, North and South Korea, Uganda, the United States, and the former Yugoslavia. The volume also includes dozens of illustrations, including photos, maps, and musical scores. Contributors are Samuel Araujo, William Beeman, Stephen Blum, Salwa El-Shawan Castelo-Branco, David Cooper, Keith Howard, Inna Naroditskaya, John Morgan O'Connell, Svanibor Pettan, Anne K. Rasmussen, Adelaida Reyes, Anthony Seeger, Jane C. Sugarman, and Britta Sweers.
- Author BiographyJohn Morgan O'Connell is a senior lecturer in ethnomusicology and the director of the program in ethnomusicology at Cardiff University. Salwa El-Shawan Castelo-Branco is a professor of ethnomusicology and the director of the Institute of Ethnomusicology at New University of Lisbon, Portugal.
- PublisherUniversity of Illinois Press
- Date of Publication23/09/2010
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationBaltimore
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Illinois Press
- Content Note28 photos, 2 maps, 3 charts, 8 music examples, 3 tables
- Weight499 g
- Width3963 mm
- Height5969 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byJohn Morgan O'Connell,Salwa El-Shawan Castelo-Branco
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $132.35Trending at AU $138.02
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.32
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $36.29
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.53
- AU $30.90Trending at AU $31.55
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.06
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $50.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.