All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.83
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.78
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.22
- AU $67.69Trending at AU $74.69
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.87
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $46.99
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.40
About this product
- DescriptionBeethoven's late style is the language of his ninth symphony, the Missa Solemnis, the last pia sonatas and string quartets, the Diabelli Variations, the Bagatelles, as well as five pia sonatas, five string quartets, and several smaller pia works. Historically, these works are seen as forging a bridge between the Classical and Romantic traditions: in terms of their musical structure, they continue to be regarded as revolutionary. Spitzer's book examines these late works in light of the musical and philosophical writings of the German intellectual Theodor Ador, and in so doing, attempts to reconcile the conflicting approaches of musical semiotics and critical theory. He draws from various approaches to musical, linguistic, and aesthetic meaning, relating Ador to such writers as Derrida, Benjamin, and Habermas, as well as contemporary music theorists. Through analyses of Beethoven's use of specific musical techniques (including neo-Baroque fugues and counterpoint), Spitzer suggests that the composer's last works offer a philosophical and musical critique of the Enlightenment, and in doing so created the musical language of premodernism.
- Author BiographyMichael Spitzer is Reader in Music at Durham University, United Kingdom. He has written widely on aspects of music theory and semiotics and is author of Metaphor and Musical Thought.
- Author(s)Michael Spitzer
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication25/05/2006
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleMusical Meaning & Interpretation
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note2 b&w photos, 85 figures, 1 index
- Weight794 g
- Width3963 mm
- Height5969 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.