Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.21
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.51
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.47
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $57.00
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.28
About this product
- DescriptionWater resources of the Indus Basin provide an excellent source for conflict transformation in the region. As new environmental and political challenges have emerged in the Indus Basin in the wake of climate changes, greater need exists for the recognition of development based peace and security between India and Pakistan. Ample scope exists for an integrated water management system in the region within the framework of the Indus Water Treaty concluded between the two countries in 1960. Researchers suggest that climate induced changes on Himalayan glaciers will seriously affect regional water flows which will result in a number of hydro-political challenges in the Indus Basin. Rapid climate change trends in the basin are thus indicative of potential future water conflicts between the historically antagonistic nations, which can only be prevented by adopting an integrated water management policy in the Basin. This timely volume shows that recognition of mutual environmental vulnerabilities in a shared river basin must lead to cooperative security in order to transform existing and emerging water conflicts. Published in association with Regional Centre for Strategic Studies, Colombo.
- Author BiographyAsma Yaqoob is a research analyst at the Institute of Regional Studies in Islamabad, Pakistan, who has contributed a number of research articles on water issues in South Asia. She is currently working on Dam-Building in the Himalayas--Lessons from China and India: Options for Pakistan.
- Author(s)Asma Yaqoob
- PublisherManohar Publishers and Distributors
- Date of Publication25/02/2013
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintManohar Publishers and Distributors
- Weight124 g
- Width140 mm
- Height215 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.