All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $71.21Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
About this product
- Description* Are you afraid you'll hurt the people you care about if you say NO to them? * Can you set limits when employees neglect their responsibilities? How about with your boss? * When friends ask you to do something you don't want to do, do you invent an elaborate excuse? * Do you have a hard time saying NO to an invitation even when you're completely exhausted? * Do you have trouble even practicing the sentence No, Mom, I just can't make it home this holiday ? If any of these scenarios sound familiar, keep reading - you need this book...No is a very simple word -- two letters, one syllable. Yet many women have a hard time saying it without feeling anxious or guilty. In My Answer Is NO...If That's Okay with You, award-winning psychiatrist and author Dr. Nanette Gartrell takes a fresh look at why even the most powerful, accomplished, and successful women find it difficult to say and offers a revolutionary approach to setting limits without jeopardizing important relationships. Today women are bombarded with messages like put yourself first and stop being a people-pleaser. But this sort of advice is useless to women who value the caring and generosity that prompt them to say yes in the first place. Through personal interviews with a diverse group of talented women, including CEOs, celebrities, physicians, and public officials, Dr. Gartrell shows that women's reluctance to say stems from valuable traits that they should embrace, such as empathy, sensitivity, and thoughtfulness. With humor and wisdom, Dr. Gartrell reaffirms the psychological importance of compassion and feeling connected, which can often lead a woman to say yes rather than in order to preserve a relationship or spare someone's feelings. Through entertaining anecdotes and insights from her years of clinical practice, Dr. Gartrell teaches women to hor their best instincts while still maintaining boundaries. My Answer Is NO...If That's Okay with You offers creative, practical ways to transform an automatic or reluctant yes into a healthy, respectful -- and still feel good about it.
- Author BiographyNanette Gartrell, M.D., is a Williams Institute Visiting Distinguished Scholar, UCLA School of Law. Dr. Gartrell also has a Guest Appointment at the University of Amsterdam, and she was previously on the faculty at Harvard Medical School and UCSF. She is a psychiatrist and researcher whose groundbreaking investigations have been published in professional journals and cited in the media. Dr. Gartrell has appeared on network television (including PBS, Good Morning America, CNN, NBC, CBS, and Fox News), and on public, talk, and Sirius satellite radio. Her articles have appeared in The New York Times Magazine, the San Francisco Chronicle Magazine, Ladies' Home Journal, and The Christian Science Monitor. She lives in San Francisco with her spouse.
- Author(s)Nanette Gartrell
- PublisherSimon & Schuster
- Date of Publication01/03/2009
- SubjectPopular Psychology
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2009
- ImprintSimon Spotlight Entertainment
- Content Noteindex
- Weight260 g
- Width139 mm
- Height214 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.