All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.73Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.26
About this product
- DescriptionA nation once synymous with tolerance, Indonesia, the fourth-most populated country in the world and its most populous Muslim country, w finds itself in the midst of a profound shift toward radical Islam. Sadanand Dhume, a Princeton-educated Indian atheist with a fondness for literary fiction and an interest in ecomic development, travels across Indonesia to find out how a society goes from broad inclusiveness to outspoken intolerance in the space of a generation. His traveling companion is Harry Nurdi, a young Islamist who hero-worships the late Osama bin Laden and sympathizes with the Taliban. Their travels span mosques and discotheques, prison cells and dormitories, sacred volcaes and temple ruins. Over time, they forge an uneasy friendship that offers a firsthand look into the crucible of radical Islam's future. With a new preface by the author detailing what has happened in Indonesia since the book's initial publication, <i>My Friend the Fanatic</i> is the story of an alternately disturbing, amusing, and poignant journey that illuminates one of the most pressing issues of our time.
- Author Biography<b>Sadanand Dhume</b> is a Washington, DC-based writer and a nonresident fellow at the Asia Society. His articles have been published in the <i>Wall Street Journal</i>, the <i>Washington Post</i>, <i>Commentary</i>, and <i>Foreign Policy</i>. He has appeared on CNN, PBS, NPR, BBC World, and Al Jazeera. Dhume holds graduate degrees from Princeton and Columbia and a bachelor's from the University of Delhi. <i>My Friend the Fanatic</i> is his first book.
- Author(s)Sadanand Dhume
- PublisherSkyhorse Publishing
- Date of Publication23/02/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSkyhorse Publishing
- Weight544 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.