All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLee Simpson may seem like an unlikely candidate to don the mantel of anti-consumerist prophet. She is, after all, the former publisher of Canada's most successful women's lifestyles magazine, Chatelaine. But that is just the first of many surprising things about her new book My Year of Buying Nothing. In My Year of Buying Nothing, Simpson invites readers into her world to witness first hand the struggles she faced, the decisions and compromises she had to make, and the epiphanies and wisdom she won during her year-long attempt to shed her consumer skin and live a more sustainable, more authentic, more earth-friendly life. In the 1980s and '90s, Lee Simpson oversaw the heady days of women's magazine publishing. Although proud of the excellent journalism featured in her magazines, and of the pioneering work of the editors she worked with, her primary role as senior executive was to ensure that a maximum number of advertising pages got sold. I was part of the data analysis and market research conglomerate that helped consumer predators kw your weaknesses and exploit them mercilessly. Who better to choose as a guide to a post-consumer lifestyle than someone who is intimately familiar with the pitfalls and dangers of the starting place, and the challenges of the way forward.
- Author BiographyLee Simpson was the first female publisher of Chatelaine. As such, Lee worked contentedly as one of the primary voices in marketing to women for 20 years. Always a champion of change, she left the communications industry in 2000 to earn a Master of Divinity degree to match her MBA, and was subsequently ordained as a minister in The United Church of Canada. Lee lives with her husband and dogs in Nova Scotia, on three seaside acres. She works part-time in local congregations and as a freelance writer, and full-time helping others believe in the power of the individual to save our planet from ecological disaster through simple changes in behaviour. Her year of buying nothing was documented by The United Church Observer to help spread this message.
- Author(s)Lee Simpson
- PublisherWood Lake Books,Canada
- Date of Publication01/10/2015
- SubjectSelf Improvement: General
- Place of PublicationKelowna
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintWood Lake Books,Canada
- Weight328 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.38
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.71
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.52
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.