All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom Christian true believers in the Apocalypse and the Rapture, to New Age enthusiasts of prophecies concerning the year 2012, Doomsday lore has become a staple of our cultural life. Yet, matter how many times the predicted end of the world fails to materialise, the belief remains robust. Felser traces Doomsday End myths throughout history to discover why and how we are obsessed with apocalyptic stories and how doomsday myths have survived in cultures throughout the world. Blending history, psychology, metaphysics and story, Felser explores the questions raised by such enduring myths. Along the way he consults the work of Joseph Campbell, Carl Jung, Black Elk, Wovoka, Itzhak Bentov, Jane Roberts, Seth, Hermann Hesse, Ingo Swann, David Bohm, Fred Alan Wolf, William James and Robert Monroe through ever widening circles of understanding. Felser suggests that our obsession with The End of the World, hides a repressed, healthy longing for reconciliation with our inner and outer worlds. He urges us to recognise and act upon that longing. When eugh individuals begin to listen to nature's voice and pay heed to their own dreams - including their visions, intuitions and instinctive promptings - the greatest revolution in all history will unfold. We will create a future of our own choosing; a beginning rather than an ending. This is a breathtaking work of intellectual virtuosity that challenges readers to re-vision the past and to recreate the future.
- Author BiographyJoseph Felser is a graduate of the University of Chicago and Boston University. He teaches at CUNY Brooklyn.
- Author(s)Joseph M. Felser
- PublisherHampton Roads Publishing Co
- Date of Publication18/03/2011
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationCharlottesville, VA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1900
- ImprintHampton Roads Publishing Co
- Weight600 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.50Trending at AU $75.22
- AU $143.50Trending at AU $152.67
- AU $44.92Trending at AU $56.19
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.58
- AU $20.94Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $22.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.