All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.36Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionThe natech revolution waits for man, woman...or child. To revitalize science, techlogy, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) performance, the U.S. educational system requires a practical strategy to better educate students about nascale science and engineering research. This is particularly important in grades K-12, the effective gestation point for future ideas and information. Optimize your use of free resources from the National Science Foundation The first book of its kind, Nascience Education, Workforce Training, and K-12 Resources promotes na-awareness in both the public and private sectors, presenting an overview of the current obstacles that must be overcome within the complex U.S. educational system before any reform is possible. It's a race against time-and other countries-and the fear is that U.S. students could lag behind for decades, with ineffective teaching and learning methods handicapping their ability to compete globally. Focusing on the application of new kwledge, this concise and highly readable book explores the transdisciplinary nature of nascience and its societal impact, also addressing workforce training and risk management. Illustrating the historical perspective of the complexity of K-12 education communities, it defines natechlogy and evaluates pertinent global and national landscapes, presenting examples of successful change within them. This book is composed of four sections: Foundations-addresses the national educational matrix, exploring the scientific and social implications associated with the delay in adopting nascience education in public schools Teaching Natechlogy-discusses the critical process of teaching K-12 students the skills to understand and evaluate emerging techlogies they will encounter Nascience Resources and Programs-provides a wide overview of the resources offered by funded outreach programs from universities with nascience centers Framework Applied-analyzes the structure of national government programs and skill level recommendations for naeducation from the National Natechlogy Initiatives This book offers plans of action and links to sustainable (largely free) development tools to help K-12 students acquire the skills to understand and evaluate emerging techlogies. Promoting a holistic teaching approach that encompasses all aspects of science, the authors strive to help readers implement change so that decisions about resources and learning are longer made from the top down by policymakers, but rather from the bottom up by teachers, parents, and students at the local level. Akhlesh Lakhtakia, one of the contributors to this volume, was recently featured on CNN in a discussion on solar energy.
- Author BiographyJudith Light Feather is president of The NanoTechnology Group, Inc., which provides resources for every aspect of nanoscience education, from curriculum to development tools for teachers. The company's News Division provides informal educational information and news for the public at www.NanoNEWS.TV presently serving on the Board of the NanoEthics Group, and multiple boards at Lifeboat Foundation. Miguel F. Aznar serves as executive director of KnowledgeContext, director of education for Foresight Institute, and on the advisory boards of both the Nanoethics Group and the Acceleration Studies Foundation. He has presented at educational conferences, including Computer Using Educators (CUE), California Educational Research Association (CERA), and California League of Middle Schools (CLMS).
- Author(s)Judith Light Feather,Miquel F. Aznar
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication15/03/2009
- SubjectEnergy Technology & Electrical Engineering
- Place of PublicationBosa Roca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCRC Press Inc
- Content Note19 black & white illustrations, 4 black & white tables
- Weight476 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.