All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- DescriptionExtensively revised, a host of local landmarks are shown as they once looked, alongside the same viewpoint photographed today Originally kwn as Nashborough, Nashville was named as the capital of Tennessee in 1843. The city's ecomic recovery after the Civil War was slow, hampered by two major cholera epidemics. However, the Centennial Exposition of 1897, for which a reproduction of the Greek Parthen was built, led to the city's gradual establishment as one of the finest cities in the South. Although Nashville was kwn as the home of the Maxwell House Coffee empire in the early 20th century, it was the Grand Ole Opry, established in 1925, that turned the city into a major country music venue. Using some extraordinary images from the city's past, paired with the same views today, this book shows how the city has evolved into a bright, modern city that is synymous with country music. Locations include State Capitol, Hotel Hermitage, Maxwell House Hotel, Ryman Auditorium, Union Street, James K. Polk Home, Germantown, Watson House, Woodland Street Bridge, Broad Street, Union Street, Market Street, Customs House, Union Station, Fisk University, Country Music Hall of Fame, the Parthen, Tennessee Centennial, Vanderbilt University, Hillsboro Turnpike, Fort Negley, and East Bank.
- Author BiographyKarina McDaniel works as an archivist for the Tennessee State Library and Archives, specializing in the restoration, reproduction, and preservation of historic photographs and documents. Her work has been published in many books, including Tennessee and the Great Smokies, The World of Stereographs, and Nashville: City of Note. She lives in Nashville.
- Author(s)Aubrey C Watson,Karina McDaniel
- PublisherPavilion Books
- Date of Publication01/11/2014
- Series TitleThen and Now (Pavilion Books)
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPavilion Books
- Content Noteblack & white halftones, colour illustrations
- Weight975 g
- Width246 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.