All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.80
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.66
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.34
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.85
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.19
About this product
- DescriptionIn the 1840s an organization of German blemen, the Mainzner Adelsverein, attempted to settle thousands of German emigrants on the Texas frontier. Nassau Plantation, located near modern-day Round Top, Texas, in rthern Fayette County, was a significant part of this story. James C. Kearney has studied a wealth of original source material (much of it in German) to illuminate the history of the plantation and the larger goals and motivation of the Adelsverein. This new study highlights the problematic relationship of German emigrants to slavery. Few today realize that the society's original colonization plan included ownership and operation of slave plantations. Ironically, the German settlements the society later established became hotbeds of anti-slavery and anti-secessionist sentiment. -In depth, thoroughness, and scope, Nassau Plantation has equal in the literature of the Society. It will become the standard reference on this topic.--Wolfram M. Von-Maszewski, editor of Voyage to North America 1844-45: Prince Carl of Solms's Texas Diary of People, Places, and Events -Nassau Plantation is well grounded in primary sources with good biographical information on the major characters. This will be a valuable reference work.--Walter Buenger, author of Secession and the Union in Texas -Nassau Plantation is an absorbing historical chronicle, following the table deeds of prominent individuals and families of the plantation as well as the plantation's impact upon Texas society as a whole. A welcome and worthy addition to Texas and German-American history shelves.--Midwest Book Review JAMES C. KEARNEY received his Ph.D. in German and history from the University of Texas. He taught German at Katy High School and has been a featured speaker at numerous conventions and symposia on Texas-German subjects.
- Author BiographyJAMES C. KEARNEY received his Ph.D. in German and history from the University of Texas. He taught German at Katy High School and has been a featured speaker at numerous conventions and symposia on Texas-German subjects.
- Author(s)James C. Kearney
- PublisherUniversity of North Texas Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/10/2011
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationDenton
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of North Texas Press,U.S.
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight560 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.