National Security, Civil Liberties, and the War on Terror by Prometheus Books (Paperback / softback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $33.01+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $23.34+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
About this product
- DescriptionThis timely collection of recent articles and judicial commentary provides a balance of perspectives on concrete issues under the umbrella of national security and civil liberties. It includes court judgments as well as opinion pieces both from those who believe the United States needs to be more protective of civil liberties and also from those who argue that national security concerns are paramount. It addresses some of the most hotly debated issues of the day, including the detentions at Guantanamo Bay, the use of torture, holding enemy combatants indefinitely, the question of whether terrorism suspects should be given the Miranda warnings, and the limits of executive power during wartime. To stress the importance of an impartial, independent judiciary, Richard Fybel explains the history of the German judiciary and judges during the Nazi Era. This balanced selection of expert opinion from widely recognized and respected authors will inform and educate readers on this critical topic. It will be especially useful for undergraduate courses in political philosophy, political science, and criminal justice, as well as law school courses addressing issues of the constitutional balance of powers, national security, interrogation practices, due process and habeas corpus.
- Author BiographyThe late M. Katherine B. Darmer was professor of law at the Chapman University School of Law and formerly an Assistant United States Attorney in New York, NY. She was the editor with Robert M. Baird of Morality, Justice, and the Law and with Robert M. Baird and Stuart Rosenbaum of Civil Liberties and National Security in a Post-9/11 World, and the author of a number of articles addressing interrogation practices, the Fifth Amendment, and national security. Richard D. Fybel (Santa Ana, CA) is an associate justice of the California Court of Appeal in Santa Ana, CA. He is also the chair of the California Supreme Court Advisory Committee on the Code of Judicial Ethics and was formerly a judge in the Orange County Superior Court.
- PublisherPrometheus Books
- Date of Publication24/05/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Series TitleContemporary Issues (Prometheus)
- Place of PublicationAmherst
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrometheus Books
- Weight508 g
- Width155 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byM Katherine B Darmer,Richard D Fybel
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.31Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.18Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.53Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $23.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.