All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince the mid-1970s, many developed states have reduced the size and scope of their welfare systems. At the same time, states have faced growing demands for self-government from national mirities. These twin processes have had a substantial impact upon the structure, power and legitimacy of the state, yet few have considered their inter-relationship. This book aims to fill this gap by conducting a focused comparison of nationalism and welfare development in Scotland and Quebec. The recent emergence of Scottish and Quebecois nationalism took place against a backdrop of welfare retrenchment. Did the post-war welfare state contain these territorial identities and strengthen attachment to the state among Scots and Quebecers? Did the retrenchment of state welfare lead to demands for greater self-government? Demands for Scottish self-government led to the creation of the Scottish Parliament and the devolution of power over wide areas of social policy. The book examines the complexities of welfare development in multi-level states, drawing upon the Quebec-Canada experience to explore the relationship between nationalism and welfare development in post-devolution Scotland.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Nicola McEwen is a Lecturer in Politics at the University of Edinburgh. She obtained a Ph.D. from the University of Sheffield in 2001. Her research on welfare state nationalism was developed while holding an ESRC post-doctoral fellowship in 2002-2003 and has come to fruition in this book. Nicola McEwen's main research interests are in comparative territorial politics, nationalism and UK devolution.
- Author(s)Nicola McEwen
- PublisherEuropean Interuniversity Press
- Date of Publication01/01/2006
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleRegionalisme & Federalisme/Regionalism & Federalism
- Series Part/Volume Number5
- Country of PublicationBelgium
- ImprintEuropean Interuniversity Press
- Content Note16 tables and graphs
- Weight310 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.74
- AU $28.60Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $70.29Trending at AU $77.45
- AU $73.96Trending at AU $76.83
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $39.18
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.70
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.